Monday, February 15, 2010

Turning 25 in Copenhagen [Day 1]

I realize I haven't been very diligent in keeping up with the blog, and for that I apologize!  This past weekend I went to visit my friends Jon, Benedikte and Jonas in Copenhagen [Denmark, mom] for my birthday!




I had a great time seeing everyone again, and it was the first time they had seen each other since we left Columbia in December.

I toured Copenhagen with Jon on Friday, Jonas on Saturday and with Ben on Sunday.  It was great to see what each of them had to show me about their city.

First thing I noticed: I was the only person there that didn't have blue or green eyes
second thing: Bikes everywhere !!











It seems kinda silly to bike around when its below freezing outside, but it actually makes a lot of sense when you realize that a 10-clip card costs about $27 to use the public transportation.  Each journey counts as a 'clip' and if you go outside the center journeys can cost 2, 3 or 4 clips.  Biking is def cheaper!

The first monument we visited was the Rundetårn [round tower] which is in the middle of downtown and over looks the entire city.









We also visited a statue of Hans Christian Andersen, who is pretty much the only famous Danish person. Ever. Don't tell them I said that ....




And along the same lines.... the Little Mermaid Statue...










To Warm up and fuel up Jon and I had lunch at a traditional Danish Restaurant.  You all know how food adventurous I am NOT, so it was definitely a challenge.  Basically you choose your dishes from ones that are presented on a table. They are essentially cold and healthy tapas.  A slice of dark, healthy bread topped with whatever you like; herring, roast beef, eggs, potato salad - you name it!  You can also get a few things from a menu; Jon got steak tartar and I got Tartelette, which is like chicken pot pie in individual pastry crusts.  It was pure deliciousness.  On Sunday, while walking around with Ben, I snapped a photo of the place because I was tired of calling it "that traditional Danish place" because no one knew what I was talking about !!


No comments:

Post a Comment